Monday, June 4, 2012

Product review - Neutrogena Body Clear Body Wash: what's behind the label?

The following statement caught my eyes:

"Neutrogena, a leading dermatologist-skincare brand, offers a variety of beauty and skincare products and Neutrogena Body Wash is one of the best products they boast of.

So when I was reading this I felt I had to post about it for 2 reasons: 1. there is too much hype for this product and 2. I used it on my back with no results.

Yes, maybe it smells good, but when I took a shower and I used it, the harsh chemicals in it caused me eczema.

Since you can't really treat acne or any pimples from outside, this product won't be a cure for any acne prone skin. (And it didn't help me either.)

On the bottle you can read the following: "NEUTROGENA® BODY CLEAR® Body Wash is a refreshing clean-rinsing body wash that cleanses acne-prone skin on your back, chest and shoulders. This effective, yet gentle formula contains salicylic acid that penetrates deep down into pores, removing oils and impurities without overdrying or irritating your skin. The foaming lather rinses completely without pore-clogging residue, leaving your skin feeling clean."

I checked their website and I clicked on the "Why Neutrogena?" and I found these claims:

  • The strong relationship between Neutrogena Corporation and dermatologists gave the company an exceptional competitive advantage.
  • (...)a new emphasis was directed toward marketing and research efforts to create a line of safe, mild, premium quality skincare products.
  • Member of Johnson & Johnson companies
  • Neutrogena the #1 Dermatologist Recommended skincare brand

This sounds very nice and very promising to someone who wants to purchase any Neutrogena product.

But the ingredients tell a different story:

Water, Sodium C14 16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Disodium Cocamphodiacetate, Glycerin, Linoleamidopropyl PG Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Extract, Anthemis Nobilis (Roman Chamomile) Flower Extract, Matricaria Flower Extract (Chamomilla Recutita), Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Triclosan, Yellow 5, Red 33, Parfum /Fragrance,

Summary

If you checked the ingredients, then what do you think? Will you purchase this body wash? Do you think it's safe?

7 ingredients are harmful for your health in this product. Many people leave it on her/his body thinking that it's more effective. They don't rinse it right away, they let it sit on the skin. Like this, the harmful ingredients have time to enter to the body (eg. Propylene Glycol, Triclosan), or do damage on the skin (eg. allergic reaction).

Too synthetic, too dangerous, not too effective (but we can't really expect a miracle from a body wash anyways).

I can't believe this product is recommended by any reliable dermatologist. I can't believe that Neutrogena body wash is "safe, mild, premium quality skincare product". I don't trust Neutrogena at all. Do you?

I would not recommend this product to anyone.

I am not affiliated with this company. I purchased this product myself for personal use unless otherwise noted. My opinion is completely honest and based on my own experience.

Sources:

http://theconservatorie.com/sodium-olefin-sulfonate-p-1598.html

http://www.alkalizeforhealth.net/Ltoxiccosmetics.htm#40

http://www.mcbiotec.com/products/?type=detail&id=47

http://www.herbcompanion.com/blogs/blog.aspx?blogid=2890&tag=Roman Chamomile

I am not affiliated with the company. These are my opinions which completely honest and based on my own experience and knowledge. My statements are merely mine opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...