Monday, August 6, 2012

Product review - Arbonne Part III.

This line includes 5 steps in the morning ( Facial Cleanser, Toner, Renewal Serum, Eye Cream, Day Cream) and 5 steps (instead of the day cream, it's the night cream) in the evening. This is basically a skin care regime. Personally I don't mind if I have to do these steps, because as an esthetician this is what I do for my clients and for myself when I want to do a proper, "pampering" facial.

1. Smoothing facial cleanser

  • Smell: organge
  • Texture: soapy, creamy, foamy

I washed my face with it and it gave me a clean feeling, although my skin on the cheeks became dry. (Sodium C14 16 Olefin Sulfonate causes the dryness.) It was like other facial cleanser.

Ingredients

You can see the whole ingredient list on the picture. I am just putting up those that you've maybe never heard, or heard, but don't know what it is and the non natural, synthetic ones. I also highlighted the harmful and the irritant ones.

Sodium-Cocoyl-Isethionate, Stearic-Acid, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Lauramphoacetate, Glycol-Stearate, Sodium C14 16 Olefin Sulfonate, Panthenol, Disodium Lauroamphodiacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Thioctic Acid, Polysorbate-20, Butylene-Gylcol, Lecithin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Stearamine, Glycerin, Hexylene Glycol, Glyceryl Undecylenate, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Limonene

There are 4 natural ingredients in it (as you can see it on the picture), which doesn't make this facial cleanser natural. It contains 9 harmful ingredients top of that and the rest ingredients are just surfactants, preservatives, foaming agents, etc. Nothing benefits to the skin.

If you will see, the same ingredients repetead in every products, but in different orders and +/- 1-2 other ingredients. But the basic line is built up from the same ingredients.

2. Regenerating Toner

  • Smell: too strong, spicy
  • Texture: liquid, colorless

When I applied it to my skin, all of a sudden I felt a burning sensation. It was horrible. Few minutes later my partner told me my face is fire red. I said I know, I can feel it... Maybe the Witch Hazel Water caused me this problem? It contains 14% Alcohol. And according to WebMD, Witch hazel might cause minor skin irritation. Or it could be the Silver Birch Oil (Betula Alba), because the main constituents of Birch Oil are Salicylic Acid, Methyl Salicylate, Betulene and Betulenol. (Birch should NOT be used by people who are allergic to aspirin. Further, Birch should NEVER be ingested, and only used topically in dilutions of 25% or less to limit the transdermal absorption to safe levels.) Summary: If you have senstiive skin, don't use this toner. It took me 2 hours to dissapear the redness, although I washed it off right away. My skin felt sticky.

Ingredients

The full list is on the picture. This is actually would be much better than the facial cleanser, because it has many natural ingredients, but they ruined it with all those synthetic and harsh chemicals.

Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Thioctic Acid, Butylene-Gylcol, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Polyamino Sugar Condensate, Stearamine, Urea, Lecithin, Sodium PCA, Disodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Limonene,

3. Intensive Renewal Serum

  • Smell: orange
  • Texture: light creamy

I applied and I was waiting for the miracle. Arbonne claims that it "visibly firms and lifts skin, while diminishing the appearance of fine lines." Well, it didn't work for me. I don't know if it absorbs quickly or not, because I used it with the Extra Moisture Restorative Day Cream which didn't absorb in my skin at all. The serum felt like it coats my skin and then I saw it contains Cyclopentasiloxane, which is a silicon oil and can't absorb to the skin. So if you think your skin is smooth, well it's this silicon what you feel. Oh and the Polymethyl Methacrylate is the 3rd ingredient which is a plastic filler. If you use a product with silicone based product, it's like you put a layer of plastic on your skin...

Ingredients

The full list is on the picture. What can I say? Full of synthetic and harmful ingredients. They ruined this one too.

Cyclopentasiloxane, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Acrylates/Dimethicone Copolymer, Polysorbate 40, Polyacrylate-13, Butylene-Gylcol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Xantan Gum, Dimethicone/Vinyl DimethiconeCrosspolymer, Retinyl Palmitate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Thioctic Acid, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Glycerin, Magnesium Aluminium Silicate, Sodium Lactate, Allantoin, Sodium Hydroxide, Dimethiconol, Polyisobutene, Polysorbate-20, Polyamino Sugar Condensate, Urea, Panthenol, Lecithin, Salicylic Acid, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Sodium PCA, Stearamine, Silica, Tetrasodium EDTA, Lactic Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Limonene, Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Titanium Dioxide

4. Corrective Eye Cream

  • Smell: supposed to be orange, but I can't identify and I don't like it
  • Texture: creamy

This is when I really have fed up with Arbonne. I applied the eye cream, I put it back in the cabinet and when I looked into the mirror my undereyes were really red and swollen! Not even 1 minute! (Thanfully I didn't apply in the morning, can you imagine to go out with swollen and red undereyes?)

Reduce the puffiness? Oh no. It gives puffiness. I washed it off right away with cold water and I applied my life saving Nourish Body Butter to calm my skin. My partner actually asked me to stop testing these products , because every single time I apply them I have a fire red and swollen face. He's right. That's it. This is the last time I put anything on my skin from Arbonne. Hypoallergen? For who? A rhino? They have thick skin, but not me. Avoid this cream if you are a human.

Ingredients

Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, ctyldodecyl-Neopentanoate, Butylene-Gylcol, Squalane, Decyl Oleate, PEG-100 Stearate, Stearic-Acid, Xantan Gum, Sorbitan Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Thioctic Acid, Allantoin, Hydrolyzed Lupine Protein, Copper Gluconate, Panthenol, Carbomer, Polysorbate-20, Palmitoyl Olegopeptide, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7, Polyamino Sugar Condensate, Urea, Polyamino Sugar Condensate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Lecithin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Sodium PCA, Carnitine, Caffeine, Stearamine, Ethylhexylglycerin, Disodium EDTA, Tromethamine, Phenoxyethanol, Limonene, Linalool

(For some reason Blogger.com didn't let me to highlight the Phenoxyethanol, but it's a very harmful chemical.)

5. Extra Moisture Restorative Day Cream

  • Smell: sunscreen
  • Texture: thick

I chose this cream, because I usually have dry skin. It gives a nice feeling, but I also can tell I felt like something coats my skin. The cream a little bit greasy and it doesn't absorb quickly.

Ingredients

Active ingredients

Avobenzone, Octinoxate, Octisalate, Octocrylene

Inactive ingredients

Glycerin, Octyldodecyl-Neopentanoate, Cocoyl Proline, Dimethicone, Glyceryl Stearate, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Cetearyl Alcohol, Isopropyl Isostearate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Protein, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sodium Lauryl Methyl Isethionate, Gluconolactone, Aminomethyl Propanol, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Squalance, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Sodium Benzoate, Caprylyl Glycol, Carbomer, Tocopherol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Caprylhydroxamic Acid Ascorbyl Palmitate, Phytic Acid, Phytosterols, Butylene-Gylcol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopherly Acetate, Panthenol, Urea, Polyamino Sugar Condensate, Sodium PCA, Lecithin, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Retinyl Palmitate, Polysorbate-20, Stearamine, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7

It contains too much synthetic and toxic chemicals. Sodium PCA can form carcinogenic nitrosamine compounds on the skin or in the body after absorption, if mixed with mino Aminomethyl Propanol! Very dangerous! And this cream contains it! This product barely contains natural ingredients and those synthetic chemicals kill those small amount of good anyways. It doesn't support the collagen as it claims. Avoid this product.

6. Night Repair Cream

  • Smell: ligth ornage
  • Texture: thick, rich, creamy

It's nothing special, same thing like other Arbonne cream: it was sticky and it irritated my skin. It's not for sensitive skin.

Ingredients

Glycerin, Dimethicone, Isononyl Isononanoate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearic-Acid, Sorbitan Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Butylene-Gylcol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Protein, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopherol, Tocopherly Acetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Thioctic Acid, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Myristyl Miristate, Myristyl Laurate, Polysorbate-60, Panthenol, Carbomer, Polysorbate-20, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7, Polyamino Sugar Condensate, Urea, Lecithin, Sodium PCA, Sodium Hyaluronate, Carnosine, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Sodium Riboflavin Phosphate, Stearamine, Disodium EDTA, Tromethamine, Chlorphenesin, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Linalool

Summary:

That wasn't a pleasant experience with Arbonne. I gave them the chance to proove that they are safe (although I analyze ingredients, so I knew they are NOT safe at all), I gave them a credit, but unfortunately they refused it by saying all the information are proprietary. I highly suggest to everyone (who thinks Arbonne is natural and pure) to compare Arbonne with a real natural brand (like 100% Pure) or any USDA certified organic brand and he/she will see the difference right away.

According to Compact for Safe Cosmetics, "Arbonne is aware of the Compact for Safe Cosmetics but have refused to sign it. If they are truly supporting women’s health and making “safe” products, it shouldn’t be too hard for them to sign the Compact. Hundreds of companies have signed the Compact, a commitment to manufacture personal care products free of known and suspected toxic chemicals."

They built up a nice story (called marketing trick), they act like they care our health and skin ("the carrot in front of the donkey"), but the truth is they don't. It's greenwashing, it's business, nothing more. So be aware.

Related links:

Arbonne Part I.

Arbonne Part II.

My opinion is completely honest and based on my own experience and knowledge. My statements are merely mine opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...