Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Product review: POND'S Dry Skin cream

I am sure everyone knows POND's. They exist since 1846.

Just from curiosity I checked what Pond's company says about their products. Altough I already saw the ingredients of their Dry Skin cream, I really wanted to see their claims.

In my opinion, it is the perfect example how marketing works: give a misleading/false information to the consumers, tell them how good is your product and make them belive that if they purchase the cream they will do a good deal.

If you are a conscious consumer you know what really matters it's the ingredients. No one can tell you anything, because you know what to look for.

Claims:

  1. "Trust in a POND's classic"
  2. "POND’S® Dry Skin Cream is a rich moisturizer that is a perfect base under makeup. It even works as a concealer when mixed with your favorite foundation or powder"
  3. "This rich and creamy formula is easily absorbed by the skin to hydrate deeply while significantly reducing dryness. For smooth, soft, radiant skin, put your trust in a classic"
  4. "Dermatologist tested"
  5. "Hypoallergenic"
  6. "Suitable for sensitive skin"
  7. "Won't clog pores"
  8. "Dry Skin Cream is a rich moisturizer that is quickly absorbed into the skin and it provides essential hydration for dry skin"
  9. "POND’S® wants to help simplify life by simplifying skin care, with beautiful results every time"

Very nice claims. Too bad that my experience tells something else.

"Surprisingly" I didn't find the ingredient list on their site . They provided their key ingredients: "Occlusives" and "Humectants" - but I don't think everyone will understand what it means or what they are.

"Occlusive" and "Humectant" are not proper ingredients, but categories and benefits of an ingredient. For example the Sorbitol is an ingredient which works as a humectant. Humectant is a substance which helps retain moisture. The word "Humectant" doesn't say too much to us, we have to know the ingredients which has this benefit.

Therefore I think it's a misleading statement. They should have said: Ingredients with Occlusive and Humectant benefits. This sounds much better for me.

Ingredients:

Water, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Isopropyl Palmitate, Petrolatum, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Ceresin, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sorbitan Oleate, Candelilla Cera (Euphorbia Cerifolia Wax), Triethanolamine, Laureth 23, Parfum /Fragrance, Carbomer, Disodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Methylparaben, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate,

Do you remember what was POND's claims? "Won't clog pores", "Hypoallergenic" and "Suitable for sensitive skin".

1. Mineral Oil and Petrolatum clog pores and I had breakouts from it

2. There are no industry standards for products that are labeled as hypoallergenic. My question is: what makes this POND's cream hypoallergenic?

3. Do you still believe that this cream is suitable for sensitive skin? I don't.

My opinion:

What do you think? After all this facts about the ingredients, do you think this is a great moisturizer? Especially if you have a sensitive skin, like me?

As you see this cream is quite synthetic and contains harmful ingredients. I don't understand how they can say that this is a great moisturizer...

I found many comments saying this cream caused break outs. I am not surprised. It has Mineral Oil, Isopropyl Palmitate and Petrolatum in it: all of them are very comedogenic.

I can't tell you 1 ingredient in this cream that actually moisturizes the skin. Maybe Glycerin, but it's a synthetic one, so I highly doubt that it does anything good.

Every company can use doctors for money. In exchange, the doctor agrees to say the product is "Dermatologist Recommended". What was tested: an individual ingredient or the finished formulation? Be very careful when you see it on a product that says "Dermatologist Recommended, or Tested", because it's not guarantee for the safety.

They do test on animals.

I wouldn't recommend it.

I am not affiliated with this company. I purchased this product myself for personal use unless otherwise noted. My opinion is completely honest and based on my own experience.

Source: http://restoremyskin.com/petrolatum-in-antiaging-products/

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...