Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Product review: Aubrey E Plus High C Natural Roll-On Deodorant

I was so excited to try this Aubrey deodorant, because I have read lots of good things about this company and their products.

I checked their site to get more information about the ingredients and it was kind of ok, but not the best and when I got my deodorant, the ingredients were way more detailed than on the site (which is good), but I got some surprises as well. The reason why it is more detailed: under Canada law you have to include every single ingredient in the products. US law is not that strict.

So I tell you what ingredients I don't like in this deodorant and why:

  • Alcohol Denat.
  • Tocopheryl Acetate
  • Ascorbic Acid
  • Cetyl Alcohol

Alcohol Denat.

It is an SD ("Specially Denatured") Alcohol. It is basically ethyl alcohol denatured with lavender in this case. EWG (Environmental Working Group): "Specially denatured (SD) alcohol is a mixture of ethanol with a denaturing agent."

Alocohol, also called ethanol or ethyl alcohol is what you can find in alcoholic beverages. In cosmetic usage it has to be denatured. The denaturant makes the alcohol taste bad.

Alcohol and Alcohol Denat. function as anti-foaming agents, cosmetic astringents, solvents and viscosity decreasing agents.

It is drying and irritating especially to sensitive skin types.

I have no idea why is this 3rd in the list. It means the deodorant has a high concentration of this alcohol.

Tocopheryl Acetate

This is the incorrect name of Vitamin E, because it is a form of Vitamin E. If it's synthetic then it is a skin sensitizer and according to CIR, Tocopherly Acetate is a human skin toxicant and in vitro tests on mammalian cells showed positive mutation results, linking it to cancer. Because companies usually don't say if it's synthetic or vegetable, it's better if you avoid it. ( A good company would be proud if the ingredient is plant based, thus they would indicate it on the label. They could easily replaced it with Wheat Germ oil.)

I am sure that in this deodorant this is synthetic, because I don't see any sign what says differently.

Ascorbic Acid:

It's a synthetic, water-soluble form of Vitamin C. It can't penetrate the surface of the skin as it repels water-soluble substances. Ascorbic acid and Vitamin C are not structurally identical. This acid is created in a laboratory.

Cetyl Alcohol:

The only reason why I am skeptical about Cetyl Alchol in this deodorant, is they didn't say where it comes from. I don't know if it's plant derived or not. And this is a problem, because if it's synthetic, then it can cause allergy and it may include traces of nickel. It works as a "glue": doesn't let the water and the oil separate from each other. Many dermatologists suggest that people with sensitive/irritated skin should avoid it.

And I have to mention my experience about this deodorant:

  1. I can't use it after shaving or waxing, because of the alcohol it burns
  2. I still sweat, but I guess it's because it's not an antiperspirant
  3. Amplify body odor under the arms, so I smell like sweat

Summary:

I am not satisfied with this deodorant. It really looks like it's not 100% natural, the alcohol burns my armpit and it feels like I sweat even more than without it.

I won't purchase it again.

Canadian (detailed) Ingredients:

Aqua, Aloe Barbadensis (aloe) leaf juice*, alcohol denat. (38b, lavender*), cetyl alcohol, glycine soja(Soybean oil), calamine, tocopheryl acetate, glycerin, calendula officinalis flower extract, glyceryl linoleate, glyceryl linolenate, anthemis nobilis (chamomile oil), arnica montana flower extract, rosa damascena flower water, santalum album (sandalwood) oil, abies sibirica leaf oil, jasminum officinale (jasmine) oil, juniperus virginiana (cedarwood) oil, pogostemon cablin (patchouli) oil, rosa damascena (rose) oil, vanilla planifolia (vanilla) oil, citrus grandis (grapefruit) seed extract, hamamaelis virginiana (witch hazel) water, ascorbic acid, beta-carotene, daucus carota sativa (carrot) root extract

*Organic

I am not affiliated with this company. I purchased this product myself for personal use unless otherwise noted. My opinion is completely honest and based on my own experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...